XRoar 0.25 released

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
sixxie

XRoar 0.25 released

Post by sixxie »

(Finally).

The only thing immediately visibly new is the user interface under GTK+ and Mac OS X, but all the other fixes and odds and ends that have appeared in snapshots over the last nearly-a-year should be in there. Didn't get around to adding the tape/drive control dialogs to the Mac OS GUI I'm afraid, or the general heads-up display.

You can now build a fully-functioning version under Linux without SDL, so long as you have GtkGLExt installed (and indeed, that's how you get the fancy UI).

http://www.6809.org.uk/dragon/xroar.shtml
robcfg

Re: XRoar 0.25 released

Post by robcfg »

Can it be compiled under Windows with GTK to get the fancy UI? :mrgreen:
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

Well technically, yes! But GTK+ is such a huge mass of dependencies, you either end up distributing enormous packages, or imposing extra steps on the end user (download & install GTK+ and GtkGLExt). Not such a big deal on Linux where it will probably be there anyway, and if it's not, it's just an "aptitude install libgtkglext1-dev" away :)

I'll check and see how hard a cross-compile against it will be and let you know - the tape control window is (even though I say so myself) really quite useful...
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

Well, after fighting with GtkGLExt's autobreak for a while and then just hand-editing the files it generates so it doesn't think it can use X11, I've built something that seems to work under Wine, albeit in an interesting fashion: all the menus take about half the height of my whole display.

Not optimal, but in case you want to work out how to install the GTK+ DLLs yourself and then give it a try under Windows proper, I've uploaded a .exe here: http://www.6809.org.uk/tmp/xroar/

Note: that'll still need the SDL and libsndfile DLLs from the usual package.
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

Hey!

To my surprise it worked right out of the box! :o

I must have installed the GTK+ libraries in my system long ago, and Xroar works like a charm. Now we are talking! :mrgreen:

I've attached a screenshot of my system for your viewing pleasure.

Thank you very much! The menu system makes XRoar even more useful.

Keep up the good work!
Attachments
XRoar Roars in XP XD
XRoar Roars in XP XD
XRoarXp.jpg (457.12 KiB) Viewed 5002 times
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

Wow, excellent! Well FYI the only thing I had to hack out of the code to build that was hiding the mouse pointer on a keypress - not the greatest loss :)

Your success prompted me to look into why it looks so bad under Wine, and it turns out this is an old bug in Wine, and the packages in Debian are old enough to suffer from it - just kicked off a build of a later version...

It looks like DirectInput joystick coding is fairly straightforward, so if I do that, the only thing left is sound and we could get a Windows binary built without SDL. Hoorah!

Edit: yep, new Wine fixed it.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

After some trial and error I've managed to get XRoar-gtk-win32 to work here too.

For those using MS Windows who do not have GTK+ installed use the DLLs from the all-in-one bundle gtk+-bundle_2.16.6-20100912_win32.zip found at http://www.gtk.org/download/win32.php and not the ones from gtk+-bundle_2.22.1-20101227_win32.zip. Or you could download the attachment which contains the required DLLs and nothing else, just unzip the DLLs into the same directory as the xroar.exe executable.

Edit. This file has been superseded by the latest version found in this thread.
Attachments
gtk_libs_for_xroar-windows32.zip
(4.45 MiB) Downloaded 273 times
Last edited by Alastair on Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

I've messing around with the new version with the fancy UI, and I've found that even marking a drive as "write back", it doesn't save the disk image after pressing eject or closing the emulator.

The usual combination of CTRL+SHIFT+[5-8] works fine.
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

robcfg wrote:I've messing around with the new version with the fancy UI, and I've found that even marking a drive as "write back", it doesn't save the disk image after pressing eject or closing the emulator.

The usual combination of CTRL+SHIFT+[5-8] works fine.
"Bugger" :)

I'll look at it soonish.
snarkhunter

Post by snarkhunter »

I tried this new release a bit, and it seems to work fine so far.
Thank you very much!

I couldn't find any list of actual fixes/enhancements to the "Win32" version, which I use : can this be found anywhere?

Kind regards,
Lionel