WIMP on the Dragon

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
tjewell

WIMP on the Dragon

Post by tjewell »

Hi all. I saw a picture of a 'windows' style frontend running on the Dragon recently, and I'm guessing (although I might be wrong) that it's the WIMP application that's on a disk image in the archives (wimp.vdk).

I've got the image, and I'd like to use it under xroar, but I never had access to a disk based machine in my youth and I don't really understand how to use DOS, let alone this WIMP application. How do I run a '.bin' file? which '.bin' file on this disk should I run?

Any help, much appreciated,

Minty.
robcfg

Re: WIMP on the Dragon

Post by robcfg »

Hi!

First, you need a disk controller ROM (Like the Eurohard DragonDOS 4.0, for example, link here).

Once downloaded, uncompress the zip file into your XRoar folder (I'm assuming you run it under Windows), and start XRoar. You should see an Eurohard message when the emulation starts.

Now, insert the disk image with CTRL+L, and type RUN"BOOT or reset the emulation with SHIFT+CTRL+R.

That should do the trick. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any problem.

Good luck!
tjewell

Post by tjewell »

Worked like a dream! Thanks Rob. Does anyone know anything of the history of this application? Now, maybe I should go off and buy this mouse on ebay ... Oh, and a Dragon 64. And some disk drives ...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 1197wt_934
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

You're welcome!

I didn't even knew there was a mouse for the Dragon. If you get the mouse, would you be so kind of opening it and taking some pictures? You know, it can be useful to adapt another mouse to work with the Dragon which would be nice.

If you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask! :D
swift-au

Post by swift-au »

It's not a Dragon mouse - rather a CoCo mouse. Naturally it will work just as well with the Dragon as it does with the CoCo, though I use the term "well" very loosely. As I recall I had one out of the box for less than a day before deciding it was far better to just use an actual joystick (rather than a joystick pretending to be a mouse).
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

robcfg wrote:If you get the mouse, would you be so kind of opening it and taking some pictures?
You realise that it's our own Chris Poacher who is selling the mouse? So I am sure that Chris would be able to answer any questions you have about the mouse (even if he hasn't logged in since April).
tjewell

Post by tjewell »

So does anyone know anything about the WIMP software itself? Who wrote it? Was anything developed to run under it?
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

WIMP is by Michael Edwards ("Broomsoft"). I'm not aware of anything that runs in it other than what comes with it.

There's also the "MAGIC GURU" system by Max Hantsch - there was a thread on the board about this a while back, but searching for "magic" doesn't seem to find it. Check it out here: http://www.6809.org.uk/tmp/da/magic/.
tjewell

Post by tjewell »

Ooh, I'm intrigued - but sorry, yet again, I don't know how to run this. Thanks in advance for your patience.

Oh, and a complete newbie question - if I do a 'DIR' how do I stop the listing scrolling off the top?

Thanks all.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The ESC/BREAK key will stop the DIR listing

The BOOT command will start these GUI interfaces
Simon Hardy