Has anyone any monitor recommendations?

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
Gareth_O'Flaherty

Has anyone any monitor recommendations?

Post by Gareth_O'Flaherty »

I'm currently running my Dragon 32 through my widescreen tv, but I'd rather have a more permanent set-up using a smaller computer monitor.
Can anyone recommend a computer monitor that works well with the Dragon 32? Links to examples on eBay would be great (if that's ok with the admins, of course).
Cheers,
Gareth.
Got my first Dragon 32 in 1983 (where does the time go??).
robcfg

Re: Has anyone any monitor recommendations?

Post by robcfg »

Monitor?

Any TV with composite video connector will do. I use a 25+ years old 14" Sony Trinitron tv set, and it looks wonderful!
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

I can definitely vouch for the fact that some monitors with composite video fail horribly. I have an HP L2335 (with the old firmware, so it doesn't scale analogue inputs properly either), and the not-quite-PAL signal from a Dragon causes it to jump up and down unwatchably.

It's fine with the input from the (Australian) CoCo 3, oddly enough.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

I don't know what the situation in Ireland is with regard to switching off the analogue TV signal, but if it is like the UK and analogue has been switched off then there should be plenty of analogue-only TV's available that are no longer in use. Just ask friends, family, neighbours, work colleagues, etc. if they have any they wish to get rid of.
tjewell

Post by tjewell »

I use one of these - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AV-to-VGA-Con ... 1303690674 - a little composite to VGA convertor, as I've got lots of VGA flatscreen monitors kicking around. The quality is acceptable - there's probably only so much I can do given the Dragon's output.
Gareth_O'Flaherty

Post by Gareth_O'Flaherty »

tjewell wrote:I use one of these - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AV-to-VGA-Con ... 1303690674 - a little composite to VGA convertor, as I've got lots of VGA flatscreen monitors kicking around. The quality is acceptable - there's probably only so much I can do given the Dragon's output.
Thanks for the link tjewell, that looks ideal.
Got my first Dragon 32 in 1983 (where does the time go??).
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

Just an observation: none of the output rates of that device are 50Hz, so you can probably expect some judder.
tjewell

Post by tjewell »

I guess this would be the 'Rolls Royce' solution then, as it can handle both 50hz and 60hz:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/StarTech-com- ... 0841048121

Tony
geirhovland

Post by geirhovland »

See also this discussion: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=518