XRoar 0.31 released

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
sixxie

Re: XRoar 0.31 released

Post by sixxie »

Thanks for the heads up.

It's a bit chicken-and-eggy: XRoar tries to guess if you want DragonDOS or Delta by what files it can find. But at the point you configure the cartridge's ROM image ("-dos" is now just an undocumented synonym for "-cart-rom" to try and preserve old behaviour as much as possible), it's already decided to use neither.

I'll make "-dos" also flag that a default based on architecture is to be used - ie DragonDOS or RSDOS, where "-cart-rom" will keep its current behaviour.
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

Thanks, Ciaran. :) Have you got the time to push out a quick snapshot?
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

Yep - give that a try.
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

Thanks, Ciaran! :D
pser1

Post by pser1 »

have tested both w32 and w64 and do work with the DDOS11C.rom file name
thanks Ciaran
pere
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

pser1 wrote:have tested both w32 and w64 and do work with the DDOS11C.rom file name
thanks Ciaran
pere
I noticed thet your original batch file used "-dostype" rather than "-dos". Are you now using -dos ddos11c.rom in your batch file?
pser1

Post by pser1 »

hello zephyr,
no, I did use the -dostype option (as in my bats), sorry.
Now I have tried last Ciaran's mod and using -dostype works without problems, but using -dos doesn't work for me.
By now, I only get it working when I first rename the DOS file to DDOS40.rom (despite being DDOS11C.rom)
pere
pser1

Post by pser1 »

sorry, I have to make a correction to my previous note:
Using this bat file:
xroar -vo sdl -machine dragon64 -extbas d64rom1V31.rom -altbas d64rom2V31.rom -dos ddos11c.rom -kbd-translate

works without problems, the disk system starts up, no need to rename the DOS file

pere
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

The -dostype option is for selecting the cartridge hardware type (dragondos, delta, rsdos). The -dos option is for selecting the ROM image (ddos10.rom, ddos11c.rom, ddos40.rom, etc).
sixxie wrote: 3.7 Floppy disk images

XRoar supports virtual disks by emulating three different types of disk controller cartridge
(the default depending on which machine is selected):

‘dragondos’
DragonDOS, official DOS cartridge from Dragon Data Ltd.

‘delta’ Delta System, Premier Microsystems’ DOS for the Dragon.

‘rsdos’ RSDOS, Tandy’s DOS cartridge for use with the CoCo.

If you want to use the virtual disk support, you will also need a DOS firmware ROM.
See Chapter 6 [Firmware ROM image names], page 15 for a list of compatible ROM images
per-controller.

Chapter 3: Emulated hardware 9

To override the defaults, use the following command-line options:
‘-dostype DOS’
Type of DOS cartridge (‘-dostype help’ for a list).

‘-dos FILENAME’
Specify DOS ROM (or CoCo Disk BASIC).

‘-nodos’ Disable DOS (ROM and hardware emulation).
pser1

Post by pser1 »

well, this is what I should understand reading this carefully, but it seems that the first time I used XRoar didn't read too much the manual and made some tries until that one (-dostype) worked for me.
As I always rename the dos cartridge to DDOS40.rom it turns up that this name is accepted for the xroar code as a valid one, and of course the disk system loaded is the renamed one, so I may work with Cumana, Dragon data, Eurohard, Super Dos and the like without any problem.
Maybe Ciaran could tell us what is the difference between these two parameters (-dos versus -dostype) keeping into account that adding a file like DDOS40.rom or DDOS11C.rom, at this moment, gives the same result with any of them.
pere