Dragon Mythbusters: The Dragon 200E!

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
robcfg

Re: Dragon Mythbusters: The Dragon 200E!

Post by robcfg »

Alastair wrote:
robcfg wrote:It's possible that the 200E PCB scans appear black, that is because of an issue with the thumbnail renderer.
I have not tested this but could this be due to the images being progressive jpegs?
Hmm, that's a good one, didn't notice that they were saved as progressive. I'll take a look tomorrow and try to fix them.
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

Ok, I fixed the PCB images.

Thanks, Alastair!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Looking at the bottom of the motherboard, it does look the the 6847 socket was fitted by hand - which would mean not many of these were produced?

I did wonder if the "E" stood for educación as use in schools would require lowercase and correct language character sets.
Simon Hardy
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

The meaning of the E could be Education, Expandido (Expanded) or Español (Spanish).

It's a pity not to have any manual or box to confirm the fact, but at least we have this machine fairly well documented now, and some myths were busted in the process :mrgreen:
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

This triggered a lot of rethinking of keyboard handing in XRoar - and led me to discover that the UK isn't the only region that Apple decide to make non-standard keyboard layouts for!

Anyway, I've pushed up a snapshot here: http://www.6809.org.uk/tmp/xroar/ which will load d200e_1.rom, d200e_2.rom and d200e_26.rom (the font) if you run with "-machine dragon200e". If you actually have a Spanish keyboard, run with "-keymap es" or "-keymap es_apple"¡

This should make exploring the machine a little easier for those of us that don't have one (everyone but your friend?)!
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

It works like a charm, thank you very much!

I tested the DragonDOS controller and works ok with the real machine. Shouldn't be any difference with a standard Dragon 64.
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

The keyboard translation (-kbd-translate) is not working correctly under Dragon 200e emulation.
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

Hah, oops. Spacebar, right? I can't believe I didn't test that - went through all the punctuation (the stuff that actually changes!) each time making sure it reflected the OS keyboard layout, and completely missed pressing space.

I've quickly pushed new snapshots, hopefully it's not a more fundamental problem.

This is very work in progress, the equivalent GTK+ stuff won't even work yet.
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

The ( @ ' ) key is still not working correctly. Tested the Win32 build under WinXP Pro SP3+.
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

Cheers, think I've nobbled that one now too. Also borrowed the 200-E's use of Shift+Enter as a general Caps Lock in translated mode. Though I've just spotted another problem with meta keys, so more snapshots to come!

Here are the Dragon 200-E characters I've found that can be typed directly - anyone got any more?

Code: Select all

Right           ï       Lowercase I with umlaut
Down            ã       Lowercase A with tilde
Eñe             ñ       Lowercase eñe (N with tilde)
Shift+Break     ü       Lowercase U with umlaut
Shift+0         ç       Lowercase C with cedille
Shift+Right     ¿       Inverted question mark
Shift+Down      ¡       Inverted exclamation mark
Shift+Eñe       Ñ       Uppercase eñe (N with tilde)
Shift+Clear     @       At
Shift+Space     §       Section
BTW, I know there are more that can be type with Shift+7 then a character in lowercase mode, but I can't easily map sequences of keypresses like that right now.