D32 Play Or Die: No. 1 (?)

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
Rink

D32 Play Or Die: No. 1 (?)

Post by Rink »

So, I've seen this done on a few forums across the internet and thought it might be fun here. The idea is pretty simple, every Friday I'll pick a game and then we play until either we've completed it or we literally can not stand the thought of playing it ever again. After either of those events, we post our thoughts.

Mainly it's just for entertainment, but in the process we can really hunt out the gems and maybe use some of the comments, screenshots, cheats or insights in the Wiki entries for each game?

So if you're up for it... I've been watching a lot of kung fu movies again lately so my first pick is Shaolin Master from Quickbeam Software. It currently doesn't have a Wiki entry - but is available in the archive in the .cas tape section.

I know nothing about this game except that it looks to be a little like International Karate, which has got to be good thing right? Forget your recent Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct, Persona 4 Arena etc. releases and get your peepers round some old school 8-bit fighting!!!

Edit: created a stub in the Wiki for it: http://archive.worldofdragon.org/index. ... lin_Master
Rink

Re: D32 Play Or Die: No. 1 (?)

Post by Rink »

Well... I kinda hope somebody has decided to join me in this and tried Shaolin Master.

So much of this game is woeful but it definitely showed a little promise. The control system (which all the enjoyment of fighting games hang on) is actually ok. If you have a friend to play with then it's probably good fun. Unfortunately, the single player mode is a disaster.

As far as I can, there is zero progression in this game and it never seems to end. If you win, you get the prize of fighting "another" opponent who is remarkably similar to the last one. In fact, it is the last one! The graphics don't change and neither do the AI or difficulty level. You fight the same fight, over and over and over until you get bored and turn it off. Not good.

Pro Tip: when the fight begins, walk towards your opponent until your character is above the TI of time. Then press up and fire... You'll land a flying kick every single time... And this scores the big points so you need never lose.

Needless to say, I haven't actually been able to play this all week long. I put up with it as long as I could and then decided not to torture myself anymore. It makes you feel sorry for the kids twenty odd years ago who couldn't turn off their Dragons and go play The Last Of Us instead. :D
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

It has been a busy week for me, but I'll try to play it!
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

I like the general idea, but I played Shaolin Master to death a while ago, and unfortunately there's an even more ridiculous way to win - when you find it, you'll curse the playtesters... ;)

Slightly better two-player, I think? But ISTR the hit detection made that a little frustrating too.
Rink

Post by Rink »

sixxie wrote:I like the general idea, but I played Shaolin Master to death a while ago, and unfortunately there's an even more ridiculous way to win - when you find it, you'll curse the playtesters... ;)
I'll post another PoD tomorrow so I don't think it'd damage anyone's 'fun' if you reveal your technique. :D

I'm half tempted to get to work and write a fighting game now. So maybe Shaolin Master was at least good for a little inspiration.
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

Constantly hold the joystick top-left (forward jump). When the fight begins, as you leap forward hold down fire. Wait. Let go of fire when the fight ends. Repeat.