Donations Wanted

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
admin
Site Admin

Donations Wanted

Post by admin »

All,

I am now actively involved with the Retro Computer Museum located in Leicestershire, UK and am making an appeal to all those forum members out there who may have some retro computer gear kicking around in storage that is being unloved or unused. Instead of letting it sit, getting lonely in its dusty box - or putting it on ebay and paying for the priviledge - please consider donating to the museum where your donation will be looked after with care and will be exhibited for others to enjoy.

You could also consider attending one of the hands-on events run by RCM - the next one is in May with a second event planned for teh Autumn - More datails on http://www.retrocomputermuseum.co.uk.

Thank You
Simon
Simon Hardy
prime

Re: Donations Wanted

Post by prime »

Are they just looking for home computers / consoles or would anything be accepted.

I have way too many SGI machines and I'm sure I could donate one, would come with disk with os installed, keyboard and mouse but alas no monitor.
I'm sure I have some other stuff too.....anyone want a C64 :)

Cheers.

Phill.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Looking for everything at this stage - already have a load on SUN Sparc kit, a load of Apple Macintosh (both 68K and PPC) so SGI would sit nicely with that lot... Having time to do something with it is a challenge right now.

Its not uncommon for people to donate stuff that doesn't work - We do have an Atari 2600 that is so rusty inside it must have spent it life at the bottom of a pond - is it useful? - Yes, some parts can be salvaged to fix other machines.

Phill - If you have anything to donate, you can bring it to the event in May that you are attending - we will be taking donations during the weekend.
Simon Hardy
prime

Post by prime »

admin wrote:Looking for everything at this stage - already have a load on SUN Sparc kit, a load of Apple Macintosh (both 68K and PPC) so SGI would sit nicely with that lot... Having time to do something with it is a challenge right now.

Its not uncommon for people to donate stuff that doesn't work - We do have an Atari 2600 that is so rusty inside it must have spent it life at the bottom of a pond - is it useful? - Yes, some parts can be salvaged to fix other machines.
Indeed :) I often keep spare parts from old machines incase I need them, which is I guess why my house is as you saw full of retro crap :)
Mind 2600's I guess are common enough now if someone had done that to a Dragon Alpha/Beta now then I would be annoyed !
Phill - If you have anything to donate, you can bring it to the event in May that you are attending - we will be taking donations during the weekend.
Okays will do, and whilst I don't think I can sign up as a full time meber of the RCM, if there are repair jobs you want me to take a look at just ask :)

Cheers.

Phill.
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

Hey, Phill, I have an Indigo2 machine at home but I need a SCSI CD-Rom drive and a VGA adapter, do you have any of these by any chance?

I got the Irix images from the Irix support website but they contain only the files, no ISO or similar. Do you know if I can burn the files into a CD and install them?
prime

Post by prime »

robcfg wrote:Hey, Phill, I have an Indigo2 machine at home but I need a SCSI CD-Rom drive and a VGA adapter, do you have any of these by any chance?

I got the Irix images from the Irix support website but they contain only the files, no ISO or similar. Do you know if I can burn the files into a CD and install them?
Alas I don't have a spare SCSI CD sorry, but the Indigo 2 is much more flexable about what CDs it will talk to than some of the earlier machines.

When you said you downloaded the Irix CDs from the SGI site, then unless they have had a change of heart in the last 6 months what you got there is an upgrade set, bit like a service pack in windows terms you'll still need a full set of CDs to install on top of :( Though I believe that these crop up on ebay from time to time.

Cheers.

Phill.