Hello and BASIC Development

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
daftspaniel

Hello and BASIC Development

Post by daftspaniel »

Hi Folks,

Just signed up and thought I would come in and say hello! Like most people on here, I imagine, I had a Dragon in the 80's as a home computer. From time to time I fired up a PC emulator to play 'Quest' or something similar. Recently I discovered the excellent XROAR and have had lots of fun playing with it. Particularly fun to try out the hardware I never had (disks + Dragon 64). I've found the Up2date disk magazine is a good read and even found one of my programs (NIM) on issue 10 which was a blast from the past :-)

Anyway, I was thinking it would be good to do some Dragon BASIC programming again - possibly a graphic minigame I started for a Java 4k contest. I was wondering if the forum had any suggestions on how best do this on an emulator? I was thinking of using something like Rainbow Writer to get more text on screen or is there a clever was to use a PC Editor and copy the text across?

Take care,
Davy Mitchell
sixxie

Re: Hello and BASIC Development

Post by sixxie »

XRoar will load in ASCII BASIC files directly if they have a .asc or .bas extension, so you can edit stuff in a normal text editor, then load it in as-is.

You might prefer to use the latest snapshot (the 2011 dated one here) as it fixes a bug with reattaching tape files that could otherwise make testing quite frustrating.

(Oh, and try AUDIO ON before loading CAS or ASCII BASIC files for new horrible noise reproduction ;) ).
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

Hi Davy,

Welcome to the forum! :)

Regards,
Steve
daftspaniel

Post by daftspaniel »

Thanks Steve and Sixxie ;)

I have got that working well - PMODE3 here I come...

Davy
daftspaniel

Post by daftspaniel »

That build of XRoar also fixed my joystick issues - thanks again ;)

Davy
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

sixxie wrote:You might prefer to use the latest snapshot (the 2011 dated one here) as it fixes a bug with reattaching tape files that could otherwise make testing quite frustrating.
Just as I was about to post about the text in xroar-snap-20110106-windows32 appearing fainter than in previous versions, I notice that you have released xroar-snap-20110110-windows32 which fixes this issue. Well done!
RoyCoates

Post by RoyCoates »

sixxie wrote:(Oh, and try AUDIO ON before loading CAS or ASCII BASIC files for new horrible noise reproduction ;) ).
Oh how this made me laugh! It's been far too many years since I heard that noise!

Wonderful - thank you :)

Roy.