Tano Dragon 64

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
Vato

Re: Tano Dragon 64

Post by Vato »

Thanks for the info Simon!

I just contacted California Digital, and they still have them in stock for $39 + $89 p&p to Sweden.
My TV-set is multistandard, and I already have a Dragon to Scart cable for my D32, so I guess I should be OK then ;-)

BTW
I have very likely tracked down a "real" D64 from a childhood friend. He said I'll get it for free if he could find it at his parents house. If I remember him right, the D64 should be in perfect condition, as he always took very good care of his things. Now I only have to keep fleabay monitored for a Disk Drive, and I should be ready for OS-9 ;-) ....I wish

Vato
Tom
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

Vato wrote:I just opened my old 32 for the first time today, and saw that there is a power and video board separate from the main board.
Which of the following is your mainboard?

(1) 16x16 - Two rows of RAM chips, 1x9 and 1x7

(2) Piggy Back - 6 chips on main board, piggy back board in sockets 1 and 8, 11 chips on piggy back board

(3) Siemens - 1 row of 16 RAM chips, 2 chips per socket (one chip on top of another)

(4) OKI - 8 RAM chips (usually labelled OKI)
Vato

Post by Vato »

zephyr wrote:
Vato wrote:I just opened my old 32 for the first time today, and saw that there is a power and video board separate from the main board.
Which of the following is your mainboard?

(1) 16x16 - Two rows of RAM chips, 1x9 and 1x7

(2) Piggy Back - 6 chips on main board, piggy back board in sockets 1 and 8, 11 chips on piggy back board

(3) Siemens - 1 row of 16 RAM chips, 2 chips per socket (one chip on top of another)

(4) OKI - 8 RAM chips (usually labelled OKI)
I'll snap a photo of it ;-)

Vato
Tom
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

Thanks! 8-)
Vato

Post by Vato »

Hi,
here's a shot of the inside of my D32. If you view it full size, you should be able to read the text on the chips.
Please tell me what you find.... what version etc.

Thanks

V

EDIT:
Wow... that came up big.... is it possible to show the attachment as a thumbnail?
Attachments
D32 bowels
D32 bowels
ND3_1686.jpg (838.26 KiB) Viewed 5725 times
Tom
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

That's an issue 5 board with 16x16 - two rows of RAM chips, 1x9 and 1x7, and 14.218 MHz crystal rather than the 14.21818 MHz crystal fitted to early models. That's quite a late issue board.

You can read about the 14.218 MHz crystals here.

http://www.grempc.demon.co.uk/dragon/info/d64difs.html
Vato

Post by Vato »

Thanks for the info Zephyr.

I find it rather strange that it's a late board, as the D32 was given to me on May 8th 1983, under a year after it was released. I remember the exact date for various reasons. But it WAS sent back for repair some time during 1984 (I believe). Maybe they changed the whole board?
The SN under the case is 094220, and I have seen substantially higher SN's than that.

Vato
Tom
prime

Post by prime »

admin wrote:In short no.... for the following reasons:

1. The D32 and D64 power boards are slightly different although the later D32 PSU boards should work
Though it is pretty easy to convert one to the other, by switching the 7912 regulator for a 7905, or vice-versa, 7912 is -12V for the 64, 7905 is -5V for the 32.
2. The Tano motherboard only generates an NTSC signal and lacks the additional circuits to produce a PAL signal
3. The PSU board only contains the modulator, it does nothing with the source signal to change its format

The way I use mine is to use the Dragon 32/64 Power Supply (220v-240v) and to use the Monitor port on the rear of the Dragon with a TV that supports NTSC signals (I use a Dragon to SCART cable to do this). Most modern TVs will support both PAL and NTSC signals.
Yeah that will work, as I also do that.

The 4th and most significant reason it won't work is because the cable between the power board and the cpu board is wired differently for the Tano, I believe that the power lines are the same from the PSU to CPU boards, but the video signal out from the CPU to the modulator/monitor socket where wired differently.

I have a bare tano CPU board that came to me having had some work done on it, it was in non-working condition, and I think that somewhere in it's past someone tried to 'fix' it not knowing about the different connections, and where not able to get a video signal so assumed that there was a fault. I only sussed that it was a Tano board when I tried compating it to the UK 64's circuit diagram and found it different, at that point I opened one of my Tano machines and plugged it into that, magically I got a picture. I did convert a PSU board to work with it, but it did involve cutting and re-routing tracks on the PSU board, and only works with the monitor socket, but is not the best solution.

Cheers.

Phill.
Rolo

Update: Tano Dragon 64

Post by Rolo »

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Guess, what's inside that box:
Ohhh, a box!
Ohhh, a box!
Box01.jpg (71.95 KiB) Viewed 5388 times
Shall I open it?
robcfg