Tano Dragon 64

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
admin
Site Admin

Tano Dragon 64

Post by admin »

Hello, I have just ordered my Tano from America (It's going to be like opening my original 64 back in 1984) and was wondering if anyone knows what the input voltage's at the rear of the computer are? If they are the same as the UK machine then I can just use a UK supply, if not I will need a 240v/110v step down. If the latter is the case does anyone know where I can get a cheap one from?.
Simon Hardy
sixxie

Re: Tano Dragon 64

Post by sixxie »

You're ok, a UK PSU will work fine.

It is fun getting a spanking new boxed Dragon :) Careful though, those boxes fit *really* snugly, and tear very easily...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thank you for the quick reply to my question, I thought the power board would be the same, but I didn't really know for sure, thank's for the tip about the box.

Best regards, Gareth
Simon Hardy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

gareth826 wrote:Hello, I have just ordered my Tano from America (It's going to be like opening my original 64 back in 1984) and was wondering if anyone knows what the input voltage's at the rear of the computer are?
Same as the UK one, though unlike the UK one, there's no power switch on the machine, so it will come on as soon as you connect the power.
If they are the same as the UK machine then I can just use a UK supply, if not I will need a 240v/110v step down. If the latter is the case does anyone know where I can get a cheap one from?.
I believe Maplins do a 110v to 240v converter, at least that's where I got mine from.....

Cheers.

Phill.
Simon Hardy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thank's for the info on the on/off switch, or lack of one.
Just in case anyone is thinking of buying a Tano Dragon from California Digital, they are charging $39 for the computer, which is about £22, but when you add P+P to the UK, the total comes to $121.50, which converts to about £72.
In the email that they sent me, they said that they have about 300 left (October 08).
Thank's again for the help, Gareth
Simon Hardy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Its arrived! Just as good as I expected (even with a slighlty dented corner on the box).
The machine that I have received does have an on/off switch on the back just the same as the UK machines (Phill said that his did not?), so I can only guess that there have been machines made by Tano that have different specifications. Does anyone have any information on this?
Simon Hardy
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

You'll find it doesn't actually turn the machine off ;)

It's used as a "channel select" switch for american televisions.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What a 'numpty' I am :oops: , just goes to show that the old addage of 'never assume, check' is still something that I should pay attention to :roll: .
Thank's to Sixxie and Phill for the timely and correct help provided.
I hang my head in shame, Gareth AKA 'Bull in a china shop'
Simon Hardy
Vato

Post by Vato »

Sorry for reopening this old thread....
Do you have any pictures from inside the Tano?

I just opened my old 32 for the first time today, and saw that there is a power and video board separate from the main board. Will it work to take that board from a D32 and put it in a Tano? Will that "combo" work as a plain european D64?

I was also surprised to see that the 6809 inside my (rather early version) D32 is a Hitachi, and not a Motorola.....

Vato
Tom
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

In short no.... for the following reasons:

1. The D32 and D64 power boards are slightly different although the later D32 PSU boards should work
2. The Tano motherboard only generates an NTSC signal and lacks the additional circuits to produce a PAL signal
3. The PSU board only contains the modulator, it does nothing with the source signal to change its format

The way I use mine is to use the Dragon 32/64 Power Supply (220v-240v) and to use the Monitor port on the rear of the Dragon with a TV that supports NTSC signals (I use a Dragon to SCART cable to do this). Most modern TVs will support both PAL and NTSC signals.
Simon Hardy