Stone Raider II source code

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
rolfmichelsen

Stone Raider II source code

Post by rolfmichelsen »

I just made the source code to Stone Raider II (Microdeal, 1986) available from http://www.rolfmichelsen.com/stoneraider.html. This is the complete assembler source code except for the data for the levels. I'll look into making them available as well as time permits... The only change I have done since 1986 is to add a BSD-style license at the top. I originally used Dskdream to compile the program.

It is with mixed feelings that I make this stuff available. The code contains a lot of really dirty hacks that I was not terribly proud of back when the code was written. Anyway, that's more than 20 years ago... Today I'm just happy to have completed the project and actually had a game published by one of the major Dragon software publishers back then.

You'll notice that the source code refers to itself as Dig-it. This was the working name for the project and it was changed to Stone Raider II as part of the agreement with Microdeal to be able to re-use advertising material for another game for another platform.

Have fun :-)
-- Rolf
Alastair

Re: Stone Raider II source code

Post by Alastair »

Thanks for making this available. For those like myself who have done very little, or no, programming in assembly language, the source code to a lengthy program (no matter how hacky) is always useful.
briza

Post by briza »

Hi Rolf.

Thanks for letting us Stone Raider 2 players have access to the source code. I found this game to be better then the Coco only version made by Diecom Software. That is why I play it on my Tandy setup.
Now I can see what made this game so good. Going to be fun looking at all the tricks you used to get it so good.

laters

Briza
rolfmichelsen

Post by rolfmichelsen »

Thanks.

Always good to know that somebody enjoys my stuff. I tend to focus mostly on the stuff that needs improvement myself...

-- Rolf
coops

Post by coops »

Cheers dude. Very much looking forward to having a blast on this.
PEABODY IS AWAY...
rolfmichelsen

Post by rolfmichelsen »

Let me know what you think. Always interesting to hear what others think.

-- Rolf
coops

Post by coops »

Great game. Oh, im finding it mighty difficult to be objective about all this stuff right now. Ive not even done a complete week of Dragon re-visiting yet so right now nearly EVERYTHING is good! (it would take some real effort to achieve any level of misty-eyed-ness over Nightflight though). SR2 plays great mind you and I suprised myself that I felt the need for 'one more go' more than a couple of times.

I worked out that I last had my D32 working during the summer of 1990. Thats a long time between sessions. I cant guarantee that my enthusiasm for all this stuff will diminish so I apologise in advance for being a bit of a pain and a waffler on here.

I just wish I had the amount of free time I had back then. Theres alot on here to get through!
PEABODY IS AWAY...
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

Thanks Rolf! :)
rolfmichelsen

Post by rolfmichelsen »

I have updated the source code package to also include the definitions for all 25 game levels. The source package can still be retrieved from http://www.rolfmichelsen.com/stoneraider.html. The readme file contains some information about how the levels are encoded.

While messing with this source code, I noticed that this is actually not the final release version. This version is branded as Dig-It, which was the working name of the game until Microdeal licensed it and we rebranded it to Stone Raider II. Also, the final release had some extra optimizations to make stuff run a little bit faster. I'll have to dig some more to see if I still have the disks with the final release.

Merry Christmas.
-- Rolf