Dragon survey, what to ask for?

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
zephyr

Re: Dragon survey, what to ask for?

Post by zephyr »

Thanks! :) Apologies to yourself and Alistair for the harsh words above. I was really upset and angry after my comments were deleted. :oops:
Vato

Post by Vato »

zephyr wrote:Thanks! :) Apologies to yourself and Alistair for the harsh words above. I was really upset and angry after my comments were deleted. :oops:
If I only knew how to do that validating BEFORE the entries are sent to the page that writes to the database..... or how to return to the main page with the entries intact..... :?

Vato
Tom
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

admin wrote:All,

If I recall correctly, the 4 different RAM combinations do not directly map onto issue numbers.... Issue 5 is the most common and was available with at least 2 of the RAM combinations and maybe more.

So it might be worth adding this as another field....
Simon is correct. Its very important to have extra fields for RAM configuration, and RF modulator type. This would be much better because it will allow us to know exactly which board type is installed at a glance.
Vato

Post by Vato »

Vato wrote:Hi,
Could the other version you have be of Australian origin? The UK-sold Dragons are at least identical to the Scandinavian-sold Dragons, even if they use PAL I and PAL B/G, respectively. Audtralia is the only country using a PAL system that might be different on UHF channels. But I suppose you Britons know Australia better than me ;-)
Was the Dragon ever sold in France? Then we might have a SECAM version as well....
I have to correct my self here...... :oops:
The UK and Scandinavian Dragons are NOT the same, as you will not get any sound, only picture, when going through the RF-modulator...... I completely forgot that I have been using a monitor/scart cable and not a UHF RF connection....

I'm ashamed :shock:

Vato
Tom
Vato

Post by Vato »

zephyr wrote:
admin wrote:All,

If I recall correctly, the 4 different RAM combinations do not directly map onto issue numbers.... Issue 5 is the most common and was available with at least 2 of the RAM combinations and maybe more.

So it might be worth adding this as another field....
Simon is correct. Its very important to have extra fields for RAM configuration, and RF modulator type. This would be much better because it will allow us to know exactly which board type is installed at a glance.
I'll add those fields as soon as I have more info on those....

Even if the Scandinavian and UK RF-modulators are not the same, they seem to have the same model numbers..... I must study them more to see if there are any differences to be seen. They are probably identical, only with some adjustments to the sound carrier frequenzies. If anyone have a UK Dragon with a "1286" modulator, please post a hi-res picture of it.

Both my Dragons have the same RAM configurations, so I don't even know what the others look like. I need good pictures of the other versions to put up, so they are easily identified by people submitting to the database.

Vato
Tom
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

The following descriptions should be good enough for most people to identify exactly wiich D32 board they have installed. You could have something like a "not sure?" entry for the few people who can't identify their board.
Power boards can be identified by the type of modulator used. The model number being clearly marked on the top as follows:

MK1 - 1286 Modulator

MK2 - 1233 Modulator

MK3 - 1287 Modulator

Motherboards can easily be identified by comparing the RAM area with the descriptions below:

16x16 - Two rows of RAM chips, 1x9 and 1x7

Piggy Back - 6 chips on main board, piggy back board in sockets 1 and 8, 11 chips on piggy back board

Siemens - 1 row of 16 RAM chips, 2 chips per socket (one chip on top of another)

OKI - 8 RAM chips (usually labelled OKI)
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

With regards to the power board I don't think the modulator tells you the issue number. If you are prepared to remove the power board, you can also find the its issue number on the underneath of the board. (To help in the removal of the board press the on/off button in, though obviously don't have anything connected to your Dragon.)

Why do I say that? Well my issue 3 board has a UM 1286 modulator. I don't have the means to take a photo of it but it's very similar to the one shown in this thread, the one difference is that the sub-number is 8303.
Vato

Post by Vato »

Alastair wrote:With regards to the power board I don't think the modulator tells you the issue number. If you are prepared to remove the power board, you can also find the its issue number on the underneath of the board. (To help in the removal of the board press the on/off button in, though obviously don't have anything connected to your Dragon.)

Why do I say that? Well my issue 3 board has a UM 1286 modulator. I don't have the means to take a photo of it but it's very similar to the one shown in this thread, the one difference is that the sub-number is 8303.
Then this document must be wrong...... (?)
http://archive.worldofdragon.org/index. ... _DRAGON_32

Vato
Tom
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Vato wrote:Then this document must be wrong...... (?)
[snip URL]
Not necessarily, it may be that Dragon Data used "mark" and "issue" to refer to different things. It's speculation on my part, but it may be that each power supply board has both a mark number and an issue number which would make my Dragon's power board a Mark 1 Issue 3 board.

If this is the case then it's possible that the motherboards follow the same nomenclature. Or perhaps the reason why the referenced document refers to 16x16, Piggy Back, Siemens, and OKI, is that the motherboards are defined first by one of those four descriptions and then the issue number. This would mean the motherboard in my Dragon 32 is an OKI Issue 2.

One question, if the above describes the Dragon 32 how are other Dragons described?

Alastair
Vato

Post by Vato »

I guess there are far fewer variations on the other "Dragon themes", but who knows. I'm still waiting to see if I can "lure" that '64 from my childhood friend..... I don't want to be too pushy...

Well, I'm going away on holiday now, and won't come back until mid August. So we'll have to continue this then.... I'll check in here from time to time.

Later,
Vato
Tom