Dragon survey, what to ask for?

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
zephyr

Re: Dragon survey, what to ask for?

Post by zephyr »

munkeyboy wrote:I have over 20 Dragons (most of them from my brother who used to service them, as well as my own from 1983, plus a few from ebay)
8-)

Do any of your Dragons have 68B09E (or better) processors fitted?
munkeyboy

Post by munkeyboy »

None of the machines that I use have a 68B09E or anything better, and I am fairly sure that the Dragons in deep storage in the loft (the Dragon's inherited from my brother) don't either, but I won't know for sure until I have checked.
Once I have checked them I will post my findings.

Gareth
Vato

Post by Vato »

I won't be able to keep up with all this until I get home, but please continue to "register" in the "database". I hate using this "bloody" little laptop.... I'm missing my giant monitors!

And BTW. I don't believe MJ was BAD.....
Tom
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Here are a couple of photographs of the innards of my Dragon 32 (ID 78 in the survey). I'll probably remove them on Monday or Tuesday, in an effort to reduce bandwidth on this thread, so please download them if you think you may make use of them.

Edit: I've removed the pictures, if anyone wants them, just say so, and I'll post them again.
Last edited by Alastair on Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vato

Post by Vato »

Alastair wrote:Here are a couple of photographs of the innards of my Dragon 32 (ID 78 in the survey). I'll probably remove them on Monday or Tuesday, in an effort to reduce bandwidth on this thread, so please download them if you think you may make use of them.
I have downloaded them!

Vato
Tom
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

Thanks Alastair! 8-) The CPU and both ROMs are socketed. It would be very easy to burn a couple of EPROMs with Steve Woolham's D32 enhanced ROM and add those along with a 63B09E CPU to make that into a Super-Dragon. 8-)
JamesD

Post by JamesD »

The January 1984 issue of Color Computer Magazine has a pretty good picture of the Tano Dragon insides. It's probably just a Dragon 64 clocked for NTSC.
I like the board layout better than the CoCo.

Too bad they didn't socket the RAM, 6847 or PIAs.
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

Two of my Dragon 64s have Issue 2A motherboards. Not sure if there was ever a 2 or a 2B, but thought I'd mention it for the dropdown.

I'd like to help populate your database, but apart from one perhaps (no issue number on motherboard with Issue 3 PSU board), I have no idea what the original configuration of any of these machines were - I chopped & changed with wild abandon, though I would guess that the Issue 3 motherboard was probably in the case with the highest serial number.

Would individual entries per-part be useful at all, or are you aiming to collate the combinations that made up released machines? Alhough I can't actually be completely certain that the CPUs are all in their original motherboard either. One of them has a B09, but I know I transferred that one from a CoCo. Actually the more I think about it, the more I suspect that putting any of this data in would just confuse things ;)
JamesD

Post by JamesD »

JamesD wrote:The January 1984 issue of Color Computer Magazine has a pretty good picture of the Tano Dragon insides. It's probably just a Dragon 64 clocked for NTSC.
I like the board layout better than the CoCo.

Too bad they didn't socket the RAM, 6847 or PIAs.
I forgot, driving PAL with a 6847 requires some extra circuitry with the Tano won't have.
Vato

Post by Vato »

sixxie wrote:Two of my Dragon 64s have Issue 2A motherboards. Not sure if there was ever a 2 or a 2B, but thought I'd mention it for the dropdown.

I'd like to help populate your database, but apart from one perhaps (no issue number on motherboard with Issue 3 PSU board), I have no idea what the original configuration of any of these machines were - I chopped & changed with wild abandon, though I would guess that the Issue 3 motherboard was probably in the case with the highest serial number.

Would individual entries per-part be useful at all, or are you aiming to collate the combinations that made up released machines? Alhough I can't actually be completely certain that the CPUs are all in their original motherboard either. One of them has a B09, but I know I transferred that one from a CoCo. Actually the more I think about it, the more I suspect that putting any of this data in would just confuse things ;)
sixxie,
but I think I will prefer to keep it for "complete" Dragons, but thanks anyway.

Vato
Tom