How to transfer Telewriter files?

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
sixxie

Re: How to transfer Telewriter files?

Post by sixxie »

If you don't have a HOME key, backtick should also work.
snarkhunter

Post by snarkhunter »

I could get the installation to work on my Win10 work computer.
Now, I'm still stuck with that <CLEAR> key emulation issue. What is that "backstick" key you are referring to?!

I tried everything I could think of, to no avail.
At the bottom right of my keyboard is a group of 6 keys.
The upper 3 are PageUp, Up arrow and PageDown
The lower 3 are Left, Down and Rght arrows. The first and last ones also have an extra function (printed in blue) using the <Fn> key that I expect to be <Home> (a diagonal arrow facing up left) and <End>, but pressing <Fn>, <Home> and <P> under Teleriter emulation only results in typing ":" in the TW text displayed at the cursor position.

Moreover, it looks as if I'm still in QWERTY keyboard configuration, not in "translated French" mode.

Moreover, emulation won't start if I set up the shortcut as

C:\Users\ldepeux\Downloads\Dragon\XROAR64\xroar.exe -machine dragon32 -keymap-fr -kbd-translate -lp-file XRoar-prtout.txt

I need to remove the "-keymap-fr -kbd-translate" in order to get things to work.

[Edit 1]
... I could eventually get the <Left (Back) arrow> + <P> work as a <Clear> emulation (it clears the Dragon's text display and resets the cursor position to top left.

But this does not work under TW emulation and just behaves as if a ":" sign had been typed in. I reckon that is some serious progress as compared with yesterday, but I'm still unable to "print" anything and that is my current main goal!
Any further idea, please?

[Edit 2]
I have a feeling this might be due to TW emulation, not to Dragon emulation. That is, to the software emulation rather than to the emulation software!
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

snarkhunter wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:56 am
C:\Users\ldepeux\Downloads\Dragon\XROAR64\xroar.exe -machine dragon32 -keymap-fr -kbd-translate -lp-file XRoar-prtout.txt

I need to remove the "-keymap-fr -kbd-translate" in order to get things to work.
Try -keymap fr (with a space instead of a dash)?
snarkhunter

Post by snarkhunter »

Just changed the shortcut setup, but it did not make any difference. Maybe this has to do with the TW code rather than the emulation... but <CLEAR> is still unavailable at the moment (except in Dragon standard text mode), so I'm still unable to print anything from XRoard/TW.
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

Is there an unused key in the French AZERTY layout that would make sense to map to CLEAR? Given how CLEAR is used, it needs to be a key that doesn't need a modifier to access...

Looking at http://xahlee.info/kbd/french_keyboard_layout.html there's a '2' to the left of '1' (sorry, '&') - not sure what that is? Presumably not the literal digit '2', as you already have that as SHIFT+'é'.
snarkhunter

Post by snarkhunter »

... I knew about that key being there (!), but I had never used it and could never had told what it was here for either!

So I just tried it and it obviously is an "exhibitor". Not sure what the actual use for it is, but it sure is not something one may not live without!

And I believe it could be a worthy target for implementing a new <CLEAR> functionality. But I'm also wondering why the standard "Home" key won't work.
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

Can you run with "-C -debug-ui -1" and paste what it says when you press that key? And your Home key, come to think of it. And any other key you think might be a good candidate :)

Home is one of the keys that's scanned independently of translation mode being enabled, so it's really weird that it's not working. (Edit to my edit: yes, it is).
snarkhunter

Post by snarkhunter »

I changed the icon's command to:
C:\Users\ldepeux\Downloads\Dragon\XROAR64\xroar.exe -machine dragon32 -keymap fr -kbd-translate -C -debug-ui -1

... and, as a result, emulation just won't launch any longer!
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

snarkhunter wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:40 am I changed the icon's command to:
C:\Users\ldepeux\Downloads\Dragon\XROAR64\xroar.exe -machine dragon32 -keymap fr -kbd-translate -C -debug-ui -1

... and, as a result, emulation just won't launch any longer!
Oh, -C has to be the very first option - it's checked for specially to open a windows console before any other options come into effect.
snarkhunter

Post by snarkhunter »

Ah... that's much better this way. Thank you very much!

Then that key is referenced as 53 (and the associated display is a set of 2 semi-graphic characters, ie. ┬▓ )
<Home> is referenced as 80 (Name = Left)
<Fn> + <Home> as 74 (Name = Home)
<Home> + <P> as 19 (Name = P)
<Fn> + <Home> + <P> as 85 (Name = Keypad *)

I hope this helps.