Retrospectiva Competition

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
zephyr

Re: Retrospectiva Competition

Post by zephyr »

jgerrie wrote:Yes, there's a version of Pipe Frenzy on the JGGAMES5.DSK. However, it is still a bit of a work in progress. There are several problems with game play and compatibility across all the Coco models that I'm working on. See my blog for updates. I'll be releasing a new version of it soon.

Blog:
http://jimgerrie.blogspot.ca/
For CoCo's without Extended Color BASIC, you could use something similar to following code to randomise the RND() function instead of X=RND(-TIMER).

Code: Select all

10 PRINT"PRESS SPACE TO START THE GAME"
20 GOSUB500:IF INKEY$<>" "THEN20
30 X=RND(-TMR)
40 ' START OF GAME CODE
50 PRINT RND(20)
60 END
500 IF TMR>65535 THEN TMR=0 ELSE TMR=TMR+1
510 RETURN
Or the machine code routine here.
jgerrie

Post by jgerrie »

Thanks Sixxie and Zephyr. That clears up a lot. My Coco 2 was a late model Coco 2 (it has lowercase capable VDG). It sounds like it manifests this short lived modification. I changed my routines to poke all the rollover locations with 255s before peeking them, which seems to have solved the problem. This is not so bad because when I switched the programs from MC-10 to Coco with the speedup, some seemed to run too fast. The game play is more like the original MC-10 version with the extra code added in and it doesn't seem to bother the other Cocos. Oh well, it's good to know. If anyone converts them to Dragon format though, and thinks it better to have the speed, most of the key read routines are located in line 20. Just remove the string of POKE 345,255:POKE344,255 etc. located there to get a little extra zip. I think the latest version of my SCRAMBLE is the only one which might benefit. Thank again for clearing that up for me.
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

jgerrie wrote:That clears up a lot. My Coco 2 was a late model Coco 2 (it has lowercase capable VDG). It sounds like it manifests this short lived modification
Those late model CoCo 2's always come with Color BASIC 1.3 fitted as standard. Color BASIC 1.3 is almost identical to 1.2. The only slight difference is the removal of 4K RAM detection from the hardware init routine, and the version number change to 1.3.

jgerrie wrote: I changed my routines to poke all the rollover locations with 255s before peeking them, which seems to have solved the problem.
The INKEY$ function always calls the keyboard routine directly. If you use the workaround posted by Arthur Flexser (CoCo mailing list), you won't need to poke all the rollover locations with 255s before peeking them.
Arthur Flexser wrote:Anyway, from the standpoint of Basic programming, there's a simple workaround:
put a statement like Y$=INKEY$ right before you peek at the rollover
table to cause the table's status to be updated.
jgerrie

Post by jgerrie »

Okay. It's time to vote in the Retrospectiva Basic Games contest. Please consider sending your support to my entries in the contest: Penguino, Romp in the Garden, Crawl, Doctor's Adventure on Scaro, and Battlbots. The link to the voting site is:
http://rsp.retrocomputacion.com/retrosp ... sic-games/
Thanks to all those who helped along the way.
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

I did try to vote for Scaro (it's the only one I've found time to play - I quite enjoyed it :) ), but it didn't accept me pressing "vote"... Does it require you to give a score for all of them? I'm not sure I have an Einstein emulator to hand...
jgerrie

Post by jgerrie »

sixxie wrote:I did try to vote for Scaro (it's the only one I've found time to play - I quite enjoyed it :) ), but it didn't accept me pressing "vote"... Does it require you to give a score for all of them?
I think it does. You have to drag the "stars" for each entry. I just gave every entry at least 1 star and then picked a couple I liked, which I gave full stars. I think they expect you to try every one, but I can't get Blue MSX to run, which is sad because Splink was the one I wanted to try the most :(
jgerrie

Post by jgerrie »

sixxie wrote:I did try to vote for Scaro (it's the only one I've found time to play - I quite enjoyed it :)
Oh, and thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
jgerrie

Post by jgerrie »

I've attached a mini Basic game based on John Linville's Fahrfall. It's called farfall.cas

Also, there are only two days left to vote in the Retrospectiva Basic Gaming Contest . If you haven't already done so please consider voting for my Dungeon Crawl, Penguino, BattleBots, Romp in the Garden, or Doctor's Adventure on Scaro.

Here's the link again:

Thanks.
Attachments
farfall.cas
(1.63 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
jgerrie

Post by jgerrie »

They've extended the voting deadline until Friday the 26th so please consider helping to support my games: Penguino, BattleBots, Dungeon Crawl, the Doctor's Adventure on Scaro and Romp in the Garden.

Rink

Post by Rink »

Phew. I haven't had time to vote yet so am very pleased to hear about the extension.

Good luck mate.