Help!! Dragon problems

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
norris

Help!! Dragon problems

Post by norris »

I've tried using my 32 tonight but it's refusing to play ball.
It run perfectly some twenty years ago but I think the transformer has died,no idea about the computer itself.
I couldn't find a signal on a tubed portable TV/DVDs combo unit with electronic tuning and I measured the outputs on the connector for the power supply that goes into the 32.I obtained .5 volts on each pin.
How do you tune a TV with electronic tuning to the Dragons signal? Just the same as for TV channel?
One more question is the Dragon internally fused?
Thanks
tormod

Re: Help!! Dragon problems

Post by tormod »

0.5 volts sounds very little, but please note that the transformer output is AC so if you are measuring with a multimeter set to DC that might be what you'll see.

If you have a UK mains plug, the fuse is in the plug itself. There is no fuse inside the Dragon.

If the Dragon is OK (at least power-wise) you'll hear the tape control relay click when you press the power button. You can also check blindly if BASIC is working: Type "MOTOR ON" and "MOTOR OFF" and you should hear the clicks.
Alastair

Re: Help!! Dragon problems

Post by Alastair »

norris wrote:How do you tune a TV with electronic tuning to the Dragons signal? Just the same as for TV channel?
It should be the same as for tuning into an analogue TV signal or VCR, so any problems are likely down to something else.
norris wrote:One more question is the Dragon internally fused?
tormod wrote:If you have a UK mains plug, the fuse is in the plug itself. There is no fuse inside the Dragon.
There may also be a fuse in the transformer (I recall a letter to Dragon User mentioning this but I have never opened a transformer - it requires drilling out the pop rivets, and all the attendant care that goes with servicing transformers - so I cannot confirm that this is the case).