I got a Dragon 32!

A place to discuss everything Dragon related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
robcfg

Re: I got a Dragon 32!

Post by robcfg »

If you could post some detailed pictures that would be helpful.
Rolo

Post by Rolo »

When you speak of shipping do you mean for the chips, or would you be able to carry out the surgery on the poor, sick Dragon?
Hi,
both options are possible. I can send you chips. I can also try to take care of your Dragon. Maybe you can find out, how much shipping to Germany and back would be. If you can't find somebody closer to you, who could do this, without having to ship the machine.
Just let me know.

The bubbles normally are just the green protective paint that gets loose. The PCB beneath normally is not affected. I am observing this on all my old machines. All soldering joints are only good for a limited amount of time, after a few decades they are starting to deteriorate. Just resolder carefully:)
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Thanks Rolo, that is a fantastic offer. If I can't find anybody closer to home to do the work, then would it be OK to just send the motherboard do you think? That way postage is going to be quite a bit less.

Robcfg, I shall try to get some pictures up over the next few days. I expect I have to link to a Flikr account or something like that to do that. Not a problem, if that's the case.
Rolo

Post by Rolo »

Just PM me, then I get an email and don't have to poll the thread.
PCBs and keyboard should be enough, if that makes shipping cheaper. I do not need any cables or the power brick. :)
sorchard

Post by sorchard »

My apologies for wading in a bit late & I hope I'm not treading on any toes...

I've got some holiday coming up soon and hopefully would be in a position to tackle this repair if it's any help. I would only need the main PCB. I think I may have some 4116 DRAMs but I'm not sure and will have to go digging this weekend to see what I've got.
Stew
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Sorchard, no apologies required. That would be absolutely fantastic. Do you need any pictures Sorchard?

Rolo, no offence, and thank you for your kind offer, but as I'm sure you'd agree, it saves sending it to Germany.

Maybe if Sorchard doesn't have the DRAMS, I could still buy them from you Rolo, and Sorchard does the repair?
Rolo

Post by Rolo »

Oh no, that's understood. No point in shipping around a computer, if somebody's nearby. That saves shipping cost and time! :)
You can have the chips for free, as long as I have those. I don't want no money for those used chips. Today I received another dead D32. Maybe I need some DRAM for that too. But normally only one or two are bad, so I think I have enough for both Dragons.
Sorchard, if you know what you need just PM me and I'll see, if I can help out.
- Regards
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Thanks Rolo, that's great. :D
sorchard

Post by sorchard »

Ok, that's cool. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't interfering with a done deal.

@Rolo
I found some 4116 DRAMs from previous upgrades so hopefully some of them are still working. I'll take you up on your kind offer of backup if I have no luck.

@Commodore
I'll PM you my details so you can send me the board. No need to see pics. I'll assume it's a vanilla MKII board. If not I'll have to improvise :-)
Stew
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

OK, that's excellent, thanks Sorchard. I am now going to send you a Private Message.

Rolo, also many thanks to you. :D