Sprint Basic Compiler

Looking for a Dragon or CoCo game not already in the archive - Then request it here and hopefully it will either be uploaded to the archive or another member can upload it to this forum.
daftspaniel

Sprint Basic Compiler

Post by daftspaniel »

Hi All Dragoneers,

1) Does anyone have a copy of the Sprint Basic Compiler?
2) (More importantly) Is it any good? I've not used it.

Davy
zephyr

Re: Sprint Basic Compiler

Post by zephyr »

Hi Davy,

It works quite well, but you have to write your programs to suit the compiler. Its been more than 20 years since I tried it, so don't ask me to be more specific. Blaby used the Sprint compiler to compile Barmy Burgers, and a few other titles. Invader Cube (aka 3D-OXO) comes with the compiler as a demo.

Regards,
Steve
vdc300

Post by vdc300 »

Hi

I used it quite a lot in one of my own person projects, which was to re-write the '50 games on one cassette' games to be something decent. It was very exact in what you had in your basic program, and I found myself re-compliing lots of times because of syntax rather than logical coding errors. At the end of the day, I preferred DYNAFAST, which promised less but delivery more. Neither Sprint or Dynafast made graphics any quicker, unless your graphical routines used alot of "maths".

Also you'll definately require the instructions for sprint, and a way of removing the orange 'sprint' screen that pops up at the start of your complied programs.

BOL

Paul
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

vdc300 wrote:I used it quite a lot in one of my own person projects, which was to re-write the '50 games on one cassette' games to be something decent.
Surely the best way to improve those games is to wipe the tape. :lol:
vdc300 wrote:Neither Sprint or Dynafast made graphics any quicker, unless your graphical routines used alot of "maths".
I understand that a number of BASIC graphics routines (well at least the paint routine) use routines built into the ROM, so even if you write in assembly language these graphics routines will not show any speed increase.
daftspaniel

Post by daftspaniel »

Thanks everyone - really good to hear your experiences. I understand it came with a £200 runtime fee - maybe that's why it didn't catch on :D

Anyway it sounds like my time would be better invested in 6809!

Cheers,
Davy
Dragonslayer

Post by Dragonslayer »

Assembler/machine code is a much better idea really - I recommend using Encoder09 if wanting to use something on the Dragon itself - in the 80's I used DASM/DEMON for ages before switching to Encoder09 and then wished I'd known about it much sooner !
The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.