Back Track wav file?

Looking for a Dragon or CoCo game not already in the archive - Then request it here and hopefully it will either be uploaded to the archive or another member can upload it to this forum.
samplefiend

Back Track wav file?

Post by samplefiend »

Hi there,

Can anyone out there please please please convert a cas file or 2 to wav for me? I've tried using dc.exe etc but can't get them to work - maybe coz my laptop is running windows xp?

The games I'm looking for in wav format to load into my Dragon 32 hardware are :

Back Track
Po Go Joe
Perilous Pit

Many thanks in advance for your help out there!

Samplefiend xxx
Alastair

Re: Back Track wav file?

Post by Alastair »

DC.EXE works under XP but it is a DOS program and as such uses the DOS file naming restrictions, i.e., no more than eight characters (letters, numbers, and a few others) followed by a full stop then no more than three additional characters. So if you are trying to feed DC a filename that does not comply with these restrictions then it will fail. There are two ways round this, either rename files so that they do comply with DOS restrictions (you can always rename them back to a longer name after DC has done its work), or at the XP command prompt use DIR /X to discover the 8.3 filename that XP has given to the file (usually of the form xxxxxx~1.xxx) and feed that name to DC.

Two questions, just to be sure, you are using DC from the command prompt, and you are using the latest version available from http://archive.worldofdragon.org/archiv ... dir=Tools/ ?
samplefiend

Post by samplefiend »

hi alastair

i'm using the latest version of DC.exe downloaded from the Dragon Archive tools section.

when i run it, the prog opens up for a fraction of a second then the window closes before i can enter any commands. i'm not used to using dos progs so it's probably a newbie mistake i'm making. i don't understand what you mean by running it from a command prompt for instance. :-)

craig xxx
samplefiend

Post by samplefiend »

hi again,

figured out what i was doing wrong and i've now got Dc.exe and Fixcas.exe working ok.

i was just typing "run DX.exe" and wasn't putting in filename.cas too.

d'oh!!!!

;-)

ta for your help mate, you pointed me in the right direction. :-)

craig xxx
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Craig,
it's unlikely that you will need to use fixcas.exe as the latest version of dc.exe incorporates the fixcas fix (the older versions of dc truncated the leader to give smaller files - fine for some emulators, not so good for others, nor for real Dragons).

Anyway, it's good to know that you have got it working.