Zaxxon by Steve Bjork

Looking for a Dragon or CoCo game not already in the archive - Then request it here and hopefully it will either be uploaded to the archive or another member can upload it to this forum.
Vato

Zaxxon by Steve Bjork

Post by Vato »

Hi,
Does anyone know if the "Official Zaxxon"-game, made by Steve Bjork for the CoCo was ever converted to Dragon format?

Vato
Tom
snarkhunter

Re: Zaxxon by Steve Bjork

Post by snarkhunter »

Vato wrote:Hi,
Does anyone know if the "Official Zaxxon"-game, made by Steve Bjork for the CoCo was ever converted to Dragon format?
Couldn't tell for sure, but I used to have a conversion of this game running on my Dragon, though it could just have been the Co-Co version. If I remember well, it should be on one of my converted ".VDK" disks ("ARCADxyS")...

I will try to check which version it actually is, and will post again then. If you're at all interested, uploading it will not take long afterwards.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Simon Hardy
snarkhunter

Post by snarkhunter »

Yes, that's the one!
Please note that, in order to run this game, you need to:
- Open the proper ".VDK" file first (cf above),
- Then load the game (i.e. LOAD "ZAXXON.BIN")
- Then RUN "UNBOOT.BIN",
- Then EXEC15520 (... I saved you the trouble of finding the proper EXEC vector!)

It's only in B&W, but I don't know whether or not there ever was any colour option available for this game. And this is indeed the Steve Bjork version, running without any trouble on the Dragon.
Vato

Post by Vato »

Thanks, I'll try that ;-)

But, correct me if I'm wrong, it was never officially released for the Dragon?
If that's so, isn't that strange?

Vato
Tom
snarkhunter

Post by snarkhunter »

No, I don't think there ever was any official Dragon release for this game. But this is not too surprising either : you'd be amazed at the number of games that were available in the USA for the Co-Co, but that never made it to Europe.

Just think that Microdeal released only part of the famous "Tom Mix" range in the UK, for instance...

When I purchased my second hand Dragon disk drive (may well have been in 1985/86), it came from the former owner with a fairly large collection of home-made disks, generally compiled from unknown sources, but all containing plenty of games that I had never heard about. I assume most were Co-Co games coming straight from the USA. These were mainly arcade and adventure games, and some definitely worth giving a try.

Lionel
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

snarkhunter wrote:No, I don't think there ever was any official Dragon release for this game. But this is not too surprising either : you'd be amazed at the number of games that were available in the USA for the Co-Co, but that never made it to Europe.

Lionel
They never released Outhouse over here did they? When I first read about it in Bob Liddil's column I wasn't certain if the game really existed, but for some reason the game stuck in my mind. Now, thanks to the internet I can see that Mr. Liddil was not hallucinating. (See http://nitros9.lcurtisboyle.com/outhouse.html )

Alastair
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

Here's the cassette version...
Attachments
outhouse.zip
(11.14 KiB) Downloaded 369 times
snarkhunter

Post by snarkhunter »

It's also available on one of my "Arcade" disks. Can't tell which one, though, but this should be easy to find out.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

zephyr wrote:Here's the cassette version...
Thanks, though I downloaded it a few years back. I was just making the point that Bob Liddil's column in Dragon User talked about many of the games that were available for the CoCo in the USA, many of which were never converted to the Dragon and sold over here. Also, of all the titles mentioned only one stuck in my mind, which probably reveals something about me that would give psychiatrists a field day!