Wiki Style

A forum for members to discuss this site, offer suggestions for improvement etc.
Alastair

Wiki Style

Post by Alastair »

Are there any style guidelines with regard to the Wiki entries? For example, for the sake of consistency are entries for programs supposed to contain certain information in a set order (e.g., Alternative Program Names, Name of Programmer or Programming Team, Original Publisher, Year of Release, Other Publishers with their Year of Releases, etc.).

I also note that some entries are in all capital letters, whilst others are not, what is the reasoning behind this?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Wiki Style

Post by admin »

The answer is yes....but I haven't had time to sort out a template....

Was hoping to built a Wiki template as a breakout box to contain that sort of info..... if anybody knows how to do this let me know.... Feel free to put a couple of games up so we can play with the layout etc.

As for mix of capitals - thats just down to me importing all the information from my database that just happens to be in caps.... can be changed to lowercase but I have not had time yet... feel free.

Take a look at cpcwiki for ideas as the CPC community have done really well at this..
Simon Hardy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Have updated the GLOVE game page (linked from main page) to show layout for games - simply copy this for a starting point..... could also add other headings in the main text area - Hints, Cheats, Solutions, Reviews etc..
Simon Hardy
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

I can see how to change the capitalisation in the body text (as well as turning relevant titles into links), but how do you change the capitalisation of the article's title?

Edit.
Ignore the question, I've discovered that move allows you to do this.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No problem.... Once the Games page has also been changed the article (publisher) with full capitals will become an orphan and can be deleted.
Simon Hardy
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

I've had a go in changing the capitalisation of all the companies that begin with the letter A with the exception of the following, as I don't know the proper capitalisation for their names:
ACE
ARC SOFTWARE
ASN COMPUTERS LTD
ASP SOFTWARE

This should allow for the deletion of the old all capital names.

I have another question, how do you differentiate between entries with the same name? For example, both Salamander and Wintersoft both had games called Dragon Trek, and Duckworth published a book called Exploring Adventures on the Dragon whilst their software arm Ducksoft gave the companion cassette the same title.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I've had a go at getting those right....so they will have to do until we get corrected.

As for things with the same name - you can use this format:

[[Salamander-Dragon Trek|Dragon Trek]]

The first part is the link to the page, the second part is what appears on the page.....So I am suggesting for duplicates we prefix the article with the publisher name?
Simon Hardy
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Further to the above add the B, C, and W companies as well as Salamander Software to the list of all-caps names that may be deleted with the exception of:

BASIC CONCEPTS (not sure of capitalisation)
BE-HIND SOFTWARE (not sure of capitalisation)
COMPUSENSE LTD (not sure how to handle entries that start with cartridge, disc, or tape)
CRL (remains as all-caps but the entries have been changed)

Incidentally, the ordering of entries on the archive.worldofdragon.org/index.php?title=Special:AllPages page needs to be looked at, as at the moment the case of the letters influences the order.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks...

The cart, disk and tape are there just to remind me to show that the software was available on the right format(s).... that will be removed and put into the page relating to the software details.
Simon Hardy
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

D, E, and F this time.

I've separated ECLIPSE-FENMAR LTD into following:
Fenmar Ltd. (as written in the manual of my copy of Total Eclipse)
Eclipse Computer Games (as written on the tape of my copy of Total Eclipse)
No doubt there is someone who can fill in with information on the name change.

Talking of name changes, Peaksoft began life as Words and Pictures, I won't add Words and Pictures as apart from Death's Head Hole I do not know what was published under that name.