User/Community Projects

A forum for members to discuss this site, offer suggestions for improvement etc.
tormod

Re: User/Community Projects

Post by tormod »

Rolo wrote:Maybe we should have a common policy, where to put hardware projects. At the moment we use "Hints and Tips" or "Dragon General", which probably are not the best categories for that. Maybe the admin (, is that you robcfg?) can tell us, where to put those. Maybe a special hardware section of the forum or the technical page.
I think we need a Hardware section. The "Hints and Tips" section lists "Hardware Hacking" but that doesn't go so well with "Programming and Game Solutions/Cheats" IMO. "Software/programming" could be another section, and "Games" a third.
rolfmichelsen

Post by rolfmichelsen »

I should be able to do the proposed changes to the front page. I strongly support encouraging future development projects for the Dragon, be it hardware, software or writing. I'll let this discussion continue for a day or two and then make changes based on the proposals I see here.

-- Rolf
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Let me know if you can't make the changes as you should be able to.
The list on the left is a special page (I can't remember the URL to edit it, but its not obvious - but a google search will find it as its standard to MediaWiki). This may be the only thing that you find you cannot edit - everything else is standard Wiki stuff.
Simon Hardy
rolfmichelsen

Post by rolfmichelsen »

I have created an entry for DIY projects under the hardware section in the wiki navigation bar. Maybe we should have an entirely separate section for DIY projects, but at least this is a start. Feel free to propose improvements and post information about your projects.

-- Rolf
Rink

Post by Rink »

That is a good start, thanks mate.

How about something like this for a brief intro on that page?
The Dragon series of computers offers programming models and a cartridge expansion connector that are ideally suited to hardware hackers and hobbyist experimenters. Below, you can find a selection of projects that have been created by members of the Dragon community.

Click the item to learn more about it, and download schematics and associated software (where applicable).
Maybe we could/should say more to encourage visitors further, but I'll leave this as my suggestion and see if people can think of good things to add.
rolfmichelsen

Post by rolfmichelsen »

Feel free to start the effort. I have provided the entry point, and now it's up to the community to add the content. (I'll add my stuff when I have some spare time.)

-- Rolf
Rink

Post by Rink »

Finally got around to finding the picture of my old iPhone <- -> Dragon cable so have added that to the section. I've also tweaked that DIY page a little, hope no one minds (if they do, they can always change it :lol: )
robcfg

Post by robcfg »

Nice!

I have a cable which I use to load programs from my iPod, but having the ability to save them is super cool!
Rink

Post by Rink »

robcfg wrote:Nice!

I have a cable which I use to load programs from my iPod, but having the ability to save them is super cool!
Cheers mate. Added a photo of one of my cables with a Tech-Flex sleeve on.

It comes in really handy for me when testing hardware - means I can write a BASIC test program on the Dragon with the hardware plugged in, and just keep reloading it. This was actually the first thing I built for the Dragon (a fair while ago now) but I never really posted about it because I intended to release an accompanying app... but I *still* haven't finished that part. Lol.
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

Does the bigger iThing connector have GPIOs? Having motor control could be trés useful...

Huh, thinking about it, would be trivial to get a Pi doing this as a convenience, that's definitely got GPIO...