User/Community Projects

A forum for members to discuss this site, offer suggestions for improvement etc.
Rink

Re: User/Community Projects

Post by Rink »

sixxie wrote:Does the bigger iThing connector have GPIOs?
You mean the dock connector?

It didn't officially have any, but they changed to the smaller lightning connector recently, which dynamically assigns pins depending on what it's up to. But in any case, they won't let you write an app which uses those connectors. :( Long story there.

I like my 'iThings' (love that term, thank you) but that restriction is such a pain. Even as paid up developer I still can't use I/O how I want to (unless I jailbreak everything). Having to stick with clever manipulation of the headphone channels for 2 I/Os. :(

Only other viable option is communication over Wi-Fi. Even Bluetooth is restricted. Bah.
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

Ah, shame.

I originally thought the unused audio channel of the 4-contact jack could be used for motor, but you'd need to pull some volts out from something other than the tape port. Something that could just detect a closure would be ideal.

Pi virtual tape deck might be something to do with some spare time (and I'm not a Pod Person anyway)...
Rink

Post by Rink »

Go for it - sounds like a fun project to me.

I'm not really an analogue electronics or signal processing guy, but doing small amounts of it for projects like this is good fun. It'll keep you out of trouble for a while anyway. :)