Help Needed

A forum for members to discuss this site, offer suggestions for improvement etc.
admin
Site Admin

Help Needed

Post by admin »

This is an open call for somebody with the time, skills and interest to help run this site and address some of the ongoing issues etc. I simply do not have the time anymore to manage the site as I used to a few years ago and its beginning to slowly fall apart.

I'm happy to grant full access to ftp site, and Joomla etc ..... If I can figure a way of granting fulll access to MySQL without compromising the other sites I host then I will do that as well.

There is so much that could be done, fixing up the downloads section, adding in all the information sections etc......

I have a large collection of Dragon tapes disks and roms, quite a few of which are still not available for download anywhere and I would like to focus what little time I do have to getting these online.
Simon Hardy
sixxie

Re: Help Needed

Post by sixxie »

I'll gladly look into the initial connect issues (this is hosted on a *nix box of some description?), but as far as general admin goes, PHP isn't my forté.
wgoodf

Post by wgoodf »

i cant say that i can help - but i think i could help keep stuff alive in some form of mirror. i would need to give it some thought. but if the site was going to go down, then i would be happy to help to keep at least bits of it online.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

admin wrote: I'm happy to grant full access to ftp site, and Joomla etc ..... If I can figure a way of granting fulll access to MySQL without compromising the other sites I host then I will do that as well.
Could you not configure the Dragon site to use a different MySQL username/password to the other sites ? That way anyone admining the Dragon site would only be able to touch it's databases etc. Or do you only get one username/pass from your hosting provider ?

Cheers.

Phill.
Simon Hardy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Have already done that.... it actually uses its own instance of MySQL......

Site will not be going down, just not being updated as much as I would like...
Simon Hardy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I would have been pleased to be able to afford any kind of help, but I'm afraid I just don't have the technical skills. This is why I'm bound to stick to what I can do, i.e. chat (most of the time), provide a little help with software (now and then). Or remain plainly useless otherwise...

... But I can be quite good at doing all this !
Simon Hardy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

admin wrote:This is an open call for somebody with the time, skills and interest to help run this site and address some of the ongoing issues etc. I simply do not have the time anymore to manage the site as I used to a few years ago and its beginning to slowly fall apart.

I'm happy to grant full access to ftp site, and Joomla etc ..... If I can figure a way of granting fulll access to MySQL without compromising the other sites I host then I will do that as well.

There is so much that could be done, fixing up the downloads section, adding in all the information sections etc......

I have a large collection of Dragon tapes disks and roms, quite a few of which are still not available for download anywhere and I would like to focus what little time I do have to getting these online.
I would like to offer my services. Please let me know where you need help.
Simon Hardy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

qwerty wrote:
admin wrote:This is an open call for somebody with the time, skills and interest to help run this site and address some of the ongoing issues etc. I simply do not have the time anymore to manage the site as I used to a few years ago and its beginning to slowly fall apart.

I would like to offer my services. Please let me know where you need help.
Okay...lets talk....probably easier to list areas where I don't need help !!

I *think* the downloads section is now operational, but its not good...really need a better way of organising all the files, with text and screenshots etc... This is often the most used section of the site.... Personally I have loads of stuff to convert and upload.

We also need to organise some sort of ebay rules to stop us all bidding on the same key items....

Lots of areas need attention in terms of adding more detail about the dragon, quite a few sites have closed recently so would be good to start pooling all the knowledge in one place....Once that happens I will allow trusted members the ability to mirror the content, just in case..
Simon Hardy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Probably easier to list where you do need help :)

You need to drop Joomla and phpBB. The effort in customising and maintaining these tools can be best used to creating the functionality from scratch. The bare essential functionality of news, downloads and forums can be created relatively quickly. Sure, you won't have the bells and whistles of the Joomla/phpBB combo but do we really need 90% of either tool?

Basically, my proposal is to go minimal and then build a solid foundation for a site of this type. I have no experience in this website category but I would love to help you build a site that can compete with the "world of" spectrums, bbcs and c64s. I ask nothing since I have been given much joy by what is already available on your site and I don't want it to disappear. I'm actually getting fed up with sites going down and having to surf around for files.

I'm very confident on the server side whatever technologies you use. High traffic PHP/MySQL ? piece of cake :) I'm sure theres others lurking around here who can contribute in profound ways.
Simon Hardy
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

I'd avoid PHP wherever possible, but that's something I try not to get into big online debates about ;)

If you're going to use PHP anyway, is there a specific reason to avoid phpBB? Its security record seems about as good as any other PHP app, and everyone already knows how to use it.