so tell me about this place

A forum for members to discuss this site, offer suggestions for improvement etc.
wgoodf

so tell me about this place

Post by wgoodf »

:mrgreen:
what is this place then.
from first looks it seems to be a dragon site and forum thats abandoned, yet with over 100 members (who i guess join to download) and nobody posts much.
the site and the forums seem to have been around for a few years at least and the web guy is still keeping it active judging by the july08 front page post.

it seems odd!
there are obviously a handful of folk who kick around here, do you all know each other in the real world then? it seems too quiet for the community thing to get going.
i mean - a newbie asks a bunch of questions and gets answers straight away - that only happens in the busy forums.

you all play 5 aside together? ;)

is all good for me you understand - just wondering.

oh - i am now one of the biggest posters!
Alastair

Re: so tell me about this place

Post by Alastair »

The site is undergoing an overhaul but it seems that the Administrator has been very busy of late so has not had time to implement everything.

Regarding the number of posts, again this forum is quite new hence the small number of posts recorded against each name. Though even in the old forum I doubt anyone managed more than a couple of hundred posts, as it was not uncommon for several days to pass between postings. You could try accessing the older forum, now read-only, by clicking the link found in this posting
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3
I say try, as the old forum now refuses to let me browse it, perhaps you may have better luck. Either way please let me know as I would like to know whether the problem extends to everyone or to just a few.

And finally, I cannot speak for the others, but I haven't met anyone who is a member of this site.
sixxie

Post by sixxie »

Five-a-side? Wouldn't that imply at least ten of us? ;)

As for people: I met a couple at CGE:UK a few years back, but suspect that we're generally a bit disparate. And while I enjoy talking techie over a pint or four, it's not a universal trait...
wgoodf

Post by wgoodf »

Alastair wrote: You could try accessing the older forum, now read-only, by clicking the link found in this posting
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3
I say try, as the old forum now refuses to let me browse it, perhaps you may have better luck. Either way please let me know as I would like to know whether the problem extends to everyone or to just a few.
nope it didnt work for me. i logged in, there were a couple of post titles from july but nothing after that, no boards and no posts to read.
Alastair wrote:And finally, I cannot speak for the others, but I haven't met anyone who is a member of this site.
awww!
poor we lamb!
:D

but i think that explains a lot. dragon is kinda niche within the retrocomputing scene. never going to be as busy as the speccy or c64 in that regard.
wgoodf

Post by wgoodf »

sixxie wrote:Five-a-side? Wouldn't that imply at least ten of us? ;)
well ping-pong perhaps, or a nice game of bridge.
sixxie wrote:As for people: I met a couple at CGE:UK a few years back, but suspect that we're generally a bit disparate. And while I enjoy talking techie over a pint or four, it's not a universal trait...
not universal, but after a few beers i do tend to fail to notice that their eyes glaze over. and from that it ceases to be a problem!
CGE:UK?
never heard of that - quick google - that looks to be fun. is it still going then, i notice that the 2006 year was a wash out.

that is the one big lack uk wise, is a retrocomputing event. something worth traveling too. i think germany is the closest.
no VCF over here.
sniff!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

wgoodf wrote::mrgreen:
what is this place then.
from first looks it seems to be a dragon site and forum thats abandoned, yet with over 100 members (who i guess join to download) and nobody posts much.
the site and the forums seem to have been around for a few years at least and the web guy is still keeping it active judging by the july08 front page post.

it seems odd!
there are obviously a handful of folk who kick around here, do you all know each other in the real world then? it seems too quiet for the community thing to get going.
i mean - a newbie asks a bunch of questions and gets answers straight away - that only happens in the busy forums.

you all play 5 aside together? ;)

is all good for me you understand - just wondering.

oh - i am now one of the biggest posters!
This is what you say !
I personally never joined this forum to download. First of all, because I've long had everything I ever needed or wanted (at least Dragon-wise). And I've been around for a few years, but I just didn't know the new url for this forum until this morning. I can understand such a board being rather "quiet" these days. But maybe many of the former members still do not know this forum has moved.

Another thing : members who post questions/requests here generally get some kind of reply and/or help from someone. Very quickly.

And any forum is what its members make it, right ?
So making it more lively is up to you as well !

Best regards,
snarkhunter
Simon Hardy
wgoodf

Post by wgoodf »

snarkhunter wrote:
This is what you say !

snarkhunter
hey!
i never said anything - that was my point!
:P