Subcategories for Games

A forum for members to discuss this site, offer suggestions for improvement etc.
Alastair

Subcategories for Games

Post by Alastair »

Simon,
do you have any problem with the creation of game type subcategories such as 'Adventure,' 'Arcade,' 'RPG,' etc.?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Subcategories for Games

Post by admin »

Not at all - This is a wiki and is as much your site as it is everybody elses. I retain some element of editorial control but generally have no issues with content being added in any shape or form.

I just wish more of the forum visitors would get editting and help to build this site - its too much for one man with a young family.
Simon Hardy
snarkhunter

Post by snarkhunter »

I guess there are a few people who would be willing to help there...
And you may count me in!

As far as the categories are concerned, this would be fine with me, and I do believe there are enough standard genres to fit most of Dragon software.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Fantastic - you should be able to Login to the Wiki with the same username and password that you use for the forums. This should enable the "Edit" tab at the top of each page and allow you to create new pages.

If this doesn't work then let me know as all I have to do is add you to a group called Wiki on here.
Simon Hardy
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Before getting stuck into this I suggest that we define the subcategories.

So far I can think of:

Adventure
Arcade
Puzzle
RPG
Simulation
Sport
Strategy

I also see no reason why a game cannot be labelled with more than one subcategory, for example, "Champions!" would be labelled both "Sport" and "Strategy."

Are more subcategories needed, and does anyone have better suggestions for the subcategory titles than the ones I've given?
snarkhunter

Post by snarkhunter »

admin wrote:Fantastic - you should be able to Login to the Wiki with the same username and password that you use for the forums. This should enable the "Edit" tab at the top of each page and allow you to create new pages.

If this doesn't work then let me know as all I have to do is add you to a group called Wiki on here.
That's fine, thanks! The only thing I have to start niggling about is, er... where is that wiki page you're referring to? I only know of the main wiki page for Dragon computers, but I'm afraid I don't have the slightest idea where the page dedicated to Dragon games actually is... :?:
Alastair wrote:I also see no reason why a game cannot be labelled with more than one subcategory, for example, "Champions!" would be labelled both "Sport" and "Strategy."

Are more subcategories needed, and does anyone have better suggestions for the subcategory titles than the ones I've given?
In the case of "Champions", it might as well be labelled "Sport" and "Simulation"! That is a tricky multiple-choice issue sometimes...

As a matter of fact, I don't believe "Sport" shoud be listed as a category. Any sport-related game could be included as being either "Simulation" ("Champions", "Tim Love's Cricket") or "Arcade" ("Athletyx"). But then again, we would need sub-genres to make any list useful : for instance, "Kriegspiel" is indeed "Simulation" too, but I seriously doubt anyone would ever consider it "Sport"!...
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

snarkhunter wrote:That's fine, thanks! The only thing I have to start niggling about is, er... where is that wiki page you're referring to? I only know of the main wiki page for Dragon computers, but I'm afraid I don't have the slightest idea where the page dedicated to Dragon games actually is... :?:
The games page in question is here
http://archive.worldofdragon.org/index. ... gory:Games

As far as I can work out, you create a new page and at the bottom of that page you enter [[Category:Games]] thus making that new page as subcategory of the games page. Then at the bottom of each game that corresponds to that subcategory you add [[Category:Adventure]] or whatever the subcategory is called.

For examples see
http://archive.worldofdragon.org/index. ... In_Archive
and a title that is part of the "Games In Archive" subcategory
http://archive.worldofdragon.org/index. ... _Lunattack
then click on edit to see how it's done.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

snarkhunter wrote:
Alastair wrote:I also see no reason why a game cannot be labelled with more than one subcategory, for example, "Champions!" would be labelled both "Sport" and "Strategy."

In the case of "Champions", it might as well be labelled "Sport" and "Simulation"! That is a tricky multiple-choice issue sometimes...

As a matter of fact, I don't believe "Sport" shoud be listed as a category. Any sport-related game could be included as being either "Simulation" ("Champions", "Tim Love's Cricket") or "Arcade" ("Athletyx"). But then again, we would need sub-genres to make any list useful : for instance, "Kriegspiel" is indeed "Simulation" too, but I seriously doubt anyone would ever consider it "Sport"!...
I am not sure if you have misunderstood my intention, you can give entries more than one subcategory label and I was suggesting that there is no need to be shy in labelling titles with more than one label should the need arise.

As to whether or not "Sport" should be listed as a category, that's a good question which I will need to think about before commenting.

One thing though, it would seem that "Simulation" needs a better name, I was thinking of simulation in terms of flight, driving, etc. Whereas "Kriegspiel" would be labelled as "Strategy."
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Alastair wrote: As far as I can work out, you create a new page and at the bottom of that page you enter [[Category:Games]] thus making that new page as subcategory of the games page. Then at the bottom of each game that corresponds to that subcategory you add [[Category:Adventure]] or whatever the subcategory is called.

For examples see
That will create a category page for Adventure - I think you then need to edit that page and put [[Category:Games]] to create the hierachy (Its been a while since I did this!). The category names are global throughout the site so we need to be careful about clashes (hence the games and books ones are prefixed).
Simon Hardy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

admin wrote:
Alastair wrote: As far as I can work out, you create a new page and at the bottom of that page you enter [[Category:Games]] thus making that new page as subcategory of the games page. Then at the bottom of each game that corresponds to that subcategory you add [[Category:Adventure]] or whatever the subcategory is called.

For examples see
That will create a category page for Adventure - I think you then need to edit that page and put [[Category:Games]] to create the hierachy (Its been a while since I did this!). The category names are global throughout the site so we need to be careful about clashes (hence the games and books ones are prefixed).

Maybe the categories are the wrong way round?

Currently the Games and Book are the top level categories with sub categories of online, not online etc.... Maybe Online, Not Online etc need to be the top level ones with content type as the sub category?

Same with Original Dump, Bad Dump, Modified Dump with sub categories of Tape, Disk, Rom etc...

The Games top level would then be left for purely the type sub categories (Arcade etc).
Simon Hardy