Problems downloading magazines

A forum for members to discuss this site, offer suggestions for improvement etc.
admin
Site Admin

Problems downloading magazines

Post by admin »

I'm havin a real problem downloading some of the magazines, 1983 - issues 10,11 & 12, 1984 - issues 02 & 03 - Am I doing something wrong or is there a problem with the site ? -

Also, if I try to select multiple issues, I lose connection to the site and it can take hours to get re-connected.

Some help or comment would be much appreciated - thanks
Simon Hardy
admin
Site Admin

Re: Problems downloading magazines

Post by admin »

A quick check on 1983 issue 10 and I seem to have no problem downloading the file. Sure, the file is huge and your setup may be causing problems, like slow internet connection etc...
As for selecting all files and downloading there are problems. Just take your time and download one at a time. It is worth it ;)
Simon Hardy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for you comments

I have now downloaded all of the magazines except 1983 10,11,12 and 1984 2,3,5,6

It was well worth the effort - - I can actually remember some of the articles (must be a sad case lol)

I'm on broadband - average download speed I've experienced on this archive is around the 30Kbs mark so I dont think its a download speed problem

I did'nt have any problems with any of the other magazines except issue 1983 08 which has pages missing/corrupted (downloaded it several times - same pages missing each time)

I've tried each of the 'problem' files about 5 or 6 times, frustrating thing is that they almost complete - sometimes 90% - then crash out.

Since this happened the first time I've found out that the only way I can access the site now is using this link :- http://archive.worldofdragon.org/index. ... jdownloads

Without the option suffix I get server 500 error. only had this problem since the first download crashed.

I'm going to install another browser to see if this helps.
Simon Hardy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Quick update

I've installed Safari Browser - - no change

Tried 1986 10 & 11 twice each

First attempt - tried downloading 10 & 11 at the same time
Download speed around 30KB/s each - - both downloads ended at exactly the same time at around 46Mb

Second attempt - tried 1 download at a time
Download speed 51.2KB/s reducing to 43KB/s after 5/6 minutes - download ended at just over 40Mb each time

I've noticed that no errors are generated, the download just stops and the PDF file is created in my directory - it just won't open saying the file is corrupt and cannot be repaired

Don't know what to try now ?????
Simon Hardy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Final update

Tried downloading D/User 1984 02 again and finally got a meaningful error message :-

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 41943040 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 62136593 bytes) in /homepages/21/d97208570/htdocs/joomla151/components/com_jdownloads/jdownloads.class.php on line 266

If you get this message the download is not commenced and you lose connection with the server, however it's my guess that the server is not always issuing the error message and commences with the download without sufficient resources allocated, this would perhaps explain why it only seems to be happening with files that are larger than the allowed memory size (just a guess)

The confirm download window reported that the file was 43.27Mb in size, when download commenced the download box indicated that the file size is 59.3Mb in size - a fairly substantial difference - may have something to do with the problem.
(The download stopped at 53.2Mb - 39.4KB/s)

Hopefully this will be fixable, as I'll be keeping an eye on the forum for gooood news before I frustrate myself any more trying to download these last few magazine files.

Still, in the meantime, I can have a good time reading the ones I've already downloaded

The availability of these files is much appreciated
Simon Hardy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm guessing that the whole file is loaded into memory before being streamed out and 51MB is just out of bounds. Of course that is a guess and may be a very stupid one.

If you really "Gotta Catch 'Em All" then let me know - I can upload the issues that you have a... erm... issue with.

Well at least there are two sad cases in the world ;)

Cheers!
Simon Hardy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

How can you upload the issues ??

Would be much appreciated however it's done.posting.php?mode=reply&f=3&t=14#

Suppose I've spent so much time trying to get them that the bit's between the teeth - so to speak

1983 isues 10,11,12 and 1984 issues 2,3,5,6

Just let me know what I have to do

ps I won't stand on 1 leg whilst rotating my hands in the air - - just thought you should know
Simon Hardy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have the issues you mention and will upload them as soon as I can find some time.
Don't worry, you'll only need to click on a link in a forum message :)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks

I'll keep an eye open
Simon Hardy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Have had a fiddle with some of the config settings for JDownloads can you try once more and let me know if thats fixed it for you.....
Simon Hardy